This vegetarian Sweet Potato Hash makes a quick and healthy weekday breakfast!
Who loves breakfast?! And who loves a quick AND healthy breakfast?! I'm always looking for fun and tasty new options that are quick enough for everyday breakfast and this Sweet Potato Hash definitely fits the bill!
Read on to learn more about how to make this Sweet Potato Hash, or jump straight to the recipe to start cooking!
- This recipe only uses a handful of ingredients, most of which you probably already have at home.
- Total prep and cook time for this recipe is right around 20 minutes so this recipe is definitely doable as a before-work breakfast, especially if you do a little meal prep in advance.
- This recipe is also vegetarian-friendly or if you leave the egg off, vegan-friendly.
- I love this dish because it is a one-pan meal and it's really easy to make, which means it's ideal for breakfast any day of the week.
The full list of ingredients and quantities can be found in the recipe card below.
- Sweet potato: You'll need about ¾ of a sweet potato for one serving of this hash.
- Egg: You'll need one large egg per serving. This is an optional ingredient.
- Spices: dried rosemary, dried oregano, dried garlic, dried thyme, ground pepper
- Pantry staples: Olive oil, yellow onion
How to make this recipe
This is a super simple recipe and since everything cooks in one pan, clean-up is a breeze!
Cook the sweet potato. You'll want to use either an 8 or 10" skillet for this recipe. Start by heating the oil over medium heat. Then you'll add the sweet potatoes and all of the other ingredients except for the egg. Cook the potatoes until they are tender, which should take about 10 minutes.
Add the egg. To keep it simple, you cook the egg in the same pan as the potatoes. Just push the potatoes to one side of the pan and add the egg. I typically do a fried egg, but you could also make it scrambled or over-easy if you like.
Serve. I recommend transferring the dish to a plate however if you are making a single serving in a small pan, you can eat directly from the pan. Just be careful not to burn yourself on the hot pan!
MEAL PREP TIP
You can chop the sweet potatoes and onions the night before so they are ready to toss in the pan in the morning.
Additional notes from the kitchen
- This is a single serving recipe, so if you are cooking for more than one person, just use the 2x or 3x function in the recipe card to get the correct ingredient amounts. The cook time won't change much but just make sure you use a pan that's big enough to fit all the ingredients.
- If you're not concerned with making this a vegetarian meal, you can toss in a little bit of ground turkey sausage for variety and some extra protein.
More breakfast recipes
Vegetarian Sweet Potato Hash Recipe
- 1 ½ cups diced sweet potato
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup diced yellow onion
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon dried garlic
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 large egg
- Cook the sweet potato. Heat oil in a medium sauté pan over medium heat. Add sweet potato, onion, ground pepper, oregano, garlic, rosemary, thyme, salt and pepper. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Cook the egg. After 10 minutes push the sweet potato mixture to one side of the pan. Crack the egg in the pan and cook as desired - either fried or over easy.
- Serve. Remove sweet potato and egg from pan and transfer to a plate. Serve immediately.
This post was originally published in July 2016. It was updated in April 2022 with some new information and photos. No changes were made to the original recipe.