This vegetarian breakfast Sweet Potato Hash makes a quick and healthy weekday breakfast!
Who loves breakfast?! And who loves a quick AND healthy breakfast?! ME!!! I’m always looking for fun and tasty new options that are quick enough for weekday breakfast and this Sweet Potato Hash definitely fits the bill!
Lately, I’ve been on a bit of a fitness kick and have been trying to eat more Paleo/Whole30 like – so fewer carbs, less sugar, less dairy. So for me, that means cutting back on my regular yogurt, blueberries and Honey Flax Granola breakfast. I’m trying to have eggs, with some form of veggies, at least 3-4 days per week, while trying to keep it healthy at the same time. Since sweet potatoes are high in fiber and rich in beta-carotene they make a great pre-workout breakfast too!
Total prep and cook time for this recipe is right around 20 minutes so this recipe is definitely doable as a before work breakfast if you plan ahead just a little bit. You can chop the sweet potatoes and onions the night before so they are ready to toss in the pan in the morning. And since everything cooks in one pan clean-up is a snap!
This recipe is also vegetarian-friendly or if you leave the egg off, vegan-friendly.
additional notes from the kitchen
- This is a single serving recipe, so if you are cooking for more than one, just multiply by the number of people want to serve. The cook time won’t change much but just make sure you have a pan that’s big enough to fit all the ingredients.
- To prep this ahead of time, dice the sweet potatoes and chop the onions during your weekly meal prep or the night before. I typically chop up a sweet potato or two and at least half an onion at the beginning of each week. Both keep for several days and give you a couple of options for easy meal prep!
- If you’re not concerned with making this a vegetarian meal, you can toss in a little bit of ground turkey sausage for variety and some extra protein.
- If you are looking for other easy weekday breakfast options check out this Peach Protein Smoothie Bowl or these Cranberry Quinoa Breakfast Jars.
Vegetarian Sweet Potato Hash
- 1 ½ cups diced sweet potato
- ½ tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup diced yellow onion
- ½ tsp dried rosemary
- ¼ tsp ground pepper
- ¼ tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp dried garlic
- ¼ tsp dried thyme
- 1 large egg
- Heat oil in a medium sauté pan over medium heat. Add sweet potato, onion, spices, salt and pepper. Cook for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes push the sweet potato mixture to one side of the pan. Crack the egg in the pan and cook as desired - either fried or over easy.
- Remove sweet potato and egg from pan. Serve immediately.