This Grilled Corn and Black Bean Salsa brings together some amazing flavors that make it the perfect dip for a summer backyard party!
This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you purchase one of the products via the product link, I’ll receive a small commission.
It’s summer and it’s grilling season. And I just love grilling in the summer! It keeps the kitchen cool and provides an excuse for me to sit out on my patio and enjoy a glass of wine while things are cooking. To me summer, corn and grilling just go together. So let’s fire up the grill and whip up some of this delicious grilled corn & black bean salsa to give you the perfect dip for all of your summer picnics and parties!
This salsa is super versatile – it’s the ideal dip for all those backyard summer parties and picnics. It can also be used to top tacos, nachos or served as a side dish to just about anything you’d grill for a summer party.
Grilling the corn gives it a rich, smokey flavor that makes this salsa rich and flavorful. And the best part is that it’s really easy to do. I like to remove the husks first so you get the nice char from the grill directly on the corn kernels. Once you do that you just brush the corn cobs with a little bit of oil and place them on the grill to cook. Adding corn to the more traditional flavors of black bean salsa gives you a great blend of taste and texture in every bite!
notes from the kitchen
- How charred you make the corn is really up to you. You can cook until just starting to brown or you can let it go a little longer a get a nice smoky char on it, letting a few kernels start to turn almost black. I prefer the latter and is give the salsa a great flavor!!
- Stripping corn off the cob can be easily be done with a sharp knife but if you make corn salsa, or other dishes with corn kernels frequently, I recommend getting an OXO Good Grips corn peeler, less than $10 from Amazon.com. It makes the task of removing corn from the cob so much easier!
What goes with corn salsa?
You can definitely eat this salsa on its own as a snack or you can make it part of a party menu!
Grilled Corn and Black Bean Salsa
- 3 ears corn, husks removed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup diced red onion
- 2 small plum tomatoes, diced
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- ¾ tsp garlic salt
- ½ cup cilantro leaves, chopped
- Preheat a grill to medium-high heat, about 425°
- Brush the corn with 1 tbsp oil, reserving the remaining oil for mixing into the salsa. Place the corn on the preheated grill and cook for 5 minutes, or until a slight char starts to appear. Continue cooking for 15 minutes, turning after 5 minutes on each side.
- Remove the corn from the grill and let cool slightly. Using a sharp knife or corn stripper remove the corn from the cobs and place in a medium mixing bowl. Add remaining ingredients, including 1 tbsp reserved olive oil and mix thoroughly. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to allow flavors to meld.
- Serve with your favorite tortilla chips.
Originally published August 2014. Updated July 2017.