This parfait combines quinoa, fresh cranberry sauce, toasted almonds and European yogurt for a seasonal, healthy breakfast on-the-go!
I don't often workout in the morning - it's just not really my thing, but when I do, I'm always thinking about what I'm going to eat for breakfast. I'm definitely a breakfast person and I know that coming up with healthy options for breakfast is not always an easy task - especially when it's something that needs to be transportable.
notes from the kitchen
- You can use any fresh cranberry sauce for this recipe - this quick and easy Orange Cranberry Sauce works well. I do recommend one that is more sauce-like for this recipe. And since it's that time of year, if you have some cranberry sauce leftover from Thanksgiving this is a great way to use it up.
- For European-style yogurt I prefer Siggi's, however, you can use any plain yogurt in this recipe. And if you are lucky enough to live someplace where you can get it, I'd highly recommend Straus Family Creamery European yogurt. It's one of my absolute favorites!
- I almost always use a non-stick skillet for toasting nuts. It's quick and easy, and you don't have to turn on the oven. Just place the nuts in a dry skillet over medium-low heat. Depending on the type of nuts, it usually takes 8 - 15 minutes for them to toast.
things you may want for this recipe
8.5 oz. Quattro Stagioni Canning Jar – The smaller version of the classic canning jars are perfect for storing and transporting small servings of food. They also work great for desserts for picnics! A set of four will work well for most kitchens.
Quinoa Cranberry Breakfast Jar Parfait
- ¼ cup quinoa
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup sliced almonds
- ⅔ cup fresh cranberry sauce
- 6 oz European, or other, plain yogurt
- Add the water and quinoa to a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes, or until water is absorbed.
- While the quinoa is cooking heat a small non-stick skillet over medium-low heat. Add the almonds and toast for 8-10 minutes, shaking the pan occasionally to ensure they toast evenly.
- Divide the quinoa between two mason jars, or serving dishes, add the cranberry and yogurt. Top with toasted almonds. Serve, or store in the refrigerator for breakfast later in the week.